The primary focus of this job is working directly with Stamen's Technical Director, Seth Fitzsimmons, to both author and support the technical underpinnings of the client work that Stamen does. You can read more about this work at http://sta.mn/4km and see what we do at http://stamen.com/
Major areas needing support:
- Building services for client projects. Fixing them when they go down. Watching Twitter to see whether anyone's reporting problems.
- Supporting efforts related to the realtime consumption and aggregation of large amounts of live data over the internet for clients like MTV, Google and Facebook.
- Caring for and feeding our ongoing investigative mapping and visualization projects: Walking Papers, Field Papers, Crimespotting, Cabspotting, http://maps.stamen.com, and others.
- Help to keep our internal infrastructure humming; you should be able to figure out what to do when the machines won't stop beeping.
- Constantly learning new things.
There is no such thing as a typical day at Stamen. One day you may be modifying some of the many open source tools we depend on. On other, you may be finding ways to combine them in novel ways. You may be tweaking studio systems and processes to run more efficiently or helping brainstorming the next Facebook Stories or MTV project. Pragmatism is key.
The position requires a familiarity with, interest in and working knowledge of: Open Street Map and general map/geo-related software, and with open-source projects like those found here:
We want to continue to work with positive-thinking, friendly and innovative people who like to work with clients and have this work seen by the public.
This is an ideal job for an aspiring generalist. You will be involved in all aspects of the studio's operations and expected to contribute across both client and internal projects in varying ways.
We are looking for someone who is: passionate enough to bring their best ideas to work every day and is willing to argue for them, and mature enough to recognize the realities involved in doing paid work for clients. Not everyone can do this; those who can will thrive.
If this sounds like you, please contact us at jobs [at] stamen.com; no phone calls, please. Qualified applicants should have an online portfolio of work and demonstrated code and design abilities; we are open to various combinations of these but they are both required for work at Stamen. Applicants without online work samples or extensive web experience will not be considered.