Data Visualization Foundations
Learn how to design and use interactive data visualizations.
Saturday and Sunday June 8-9 2019, 1-5pm on both days.
Who should join?
• Designers and developers interested in effective presentation of data.
• Product managers seeking to leverage data visualization.
• Data scientists who want to push beyond static statistical graphics.
What will be covered (day 1)
• Why Visualize? When to use, and not to use, data visualization
• Input: data and tasks/questions
• Data: types of attributes (Nominal, Ordinal, Quantitative)
• Marks and Channels: X, Y, Color (Hue, Luminance, Saturation), Size, Faceting (small multiples), and more
• Visual Encoding: Mapping data to marks and channels effectively
• Using Color in Visualization: Categorical Schemes, Continuous Schemes, Diverging Schemes
• Data Reduction: Taming "big data" for visual presentation, using aggregation, filtering, or sampling
• Brief summary of what's possible with interactive visualization.
What will be covered (day 2)
• (throughout) Hands-on D3.js programming
• How visualizations are built using D3.js
• Finding, forking & modifying visualizations
• Implementing interaction using unidirectional data flow
• Interactions in a Single View
• Select (hover, click)
• Pan & Zoom
• Filter (slice)
• Change Encoding (select columns to visualize)
• Interaction Patterns with Multiple Views
• Linked Highlighting
• Linked Navigation
• Dynamic Layers
What won't be covered
• Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence
Prerequisites for day 1
• Basic understanding of data
• Desire to leverage data visualization
Additional rrerequisites for day 2
• Familiarity with HTML and CSS
• Basic familiarity with D3.js
• Be sure to bring your laptop
• The class workshop will be held at Stamen's San Francicso studio, 2017 Mission St, Suite 300.
• Classes are $500 each or $850 for both. Students currently enrolled at a university can recieve a 50% discount.
If you or your company wants to present data effectively using data visualization, needs in-depth background knowledge about the art and science of data visualization, or needs to acquire data visualization literacy, this event is for you!
Curran Kelleher specializes in teaching Data Visualization, and is the author of the open source platform for teaching & learning data visualization vizhub.com.